Re: [Epic] My first attempt at an Epic army.

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1997 10:10:36 -0500

Mark A. Siefert wrote:

> Hello:
> Ok, after sitting down with my army book in hand I've been able to put
> together what passes for an army with the miniatures I've got. Feel
> free to suggest changes or modifications.
>
> Detachment 1:
> Space Marine Infantry Detachment
> Psycher: mounted in Rhino 42 points
> Captain: mounted in Rhino (HQ) 57 points
>
> Main Force: Support:
> ----------- --------
> Space Marine Squad in Rhino 37 Land Speeder Squadron (2 Units) 40
> Space Marine Squad in Rhino 37 Space Marine Dreadnaught 27
> Devestator Squad in Rhino 47 Space Marine Dreadnaught 27
> Devestator Squad in Rhino 47 Space Marine Dreadnaught 27
> Assault Squad in Rhino 41 Space Marine Dreadnaught 27
> Assault Sqaud in Rhino 41
>
> Total Points: 497

        This detachment is a huge ungainly hodge-podge with no clear
purpose. The Assault marines should ideally be getting stuck in CC,
the Devs should be going on overwatch, the Land Speeders should be
zipping about with other fast stuff...

        Personally, I would never mix jump-pack assault troops with
tac or heavy troops - the assault guys are just going to get slowed
down. Similarly, mixing speeders or bikes in with static troops like
devs is also a bad idea unless you have some specific reason for it.

> Detachment 2:
> Space Marine Armor Detachment:
>
> Captain: In Land Raider (HQ) 85

        Shouldn't a command LR cost 35 + 25 = 60 points?

> What do you guys think?

        Your detachments are enormous. You might want to think
about cutting them down in size a bit - the larger a detachment is,
the easier it is for your opponent to suppress it into inaction.
But I'd say try out what you've got and see for yourself what works
and what doesn't...

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"My mind is going... I can feel it." - 2001