Re: [Epic] Squat 40K List

From: Gianluigi Basenghi <gbasenghi_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 16:34:31 +0100

Chris Pinson wrote:

> Al,

What we have here are four vehicles which differ wildly in both role and

effect. If it weren't for the models being based on the Rhino then there

would be no link between these units.
I disagree:
I think you should keep with WH40K to get the essential differences
between weapon systems.
All the Rhino variants differ one from another, but the result you get
from firing is basically the same (high penetration, good fire
spreading, for barrages or multiple shots, except may be the Whirlwind
which can fire indirectly).
The Support Weapons we are talking about differ far more.
Rapier is basically a One-Shot AT weapons with limited firing arc.
Tarantula is a Point defense system with wondrous flak ability (did you
ever see one of them with Heavy-bolters sweeping out descending
Gargoyles / Swooping Hawks while in overwatch, thank to it's 360� firing
arc?)
The mole mortar differs totally from the other, in that can bypass
shields, hit at very long distance, create craters, target ground,
crumble buildings, etc.
Thud-Gun has no Armor Piercing capability in WH40K (max. AP 12) but can
fire parabolic shots, speculate fire and is pretty good vs infantry.

I personally think one of the strong points of Epic40k is the speed at
which the game moves and the way units are defined (many will disagree
with
me here but this is just personal opinion). By adding new units
constantly
we are eroding this.
I agree with this as the fault of SM/TL was becoming too slow and
ponderous for the excess of diversification for the weaponry and troops,
but we should balance speed and realism to get the best from the games,
or you will end out playing Risiko!

Pippero