Re: Support Weapons (was Re: [Epic] Squat 40K List)

From: Gianluigi Basenghi <gbasenghi_at_...>
Date: Mon, 10 Nov 1997 15:48:40 +0100

Aaron P Teske wrote:

> Actually, the differences in the stats do reflect differences in the
> weapons. The original guard and marine support weapon is, I believe,
> supposed to be the Tarantula, though GW just tossed all the other
> "small" weapons in there with it for simplicity. Then they added a
> bit
> of variety with the Squat support weapon, presumably the Thudd Gun,
> and
> (perhaps) more with the tech-guard list. (Not sure on this one.)
>
> Here's my thoughts on each, for E40K:
>
> Weapon Move Range FirePower Assault Armour Notes
> Tarantula 10 45 AT 0 4+
> Rapier 10 30 4 0 4+
> Mole Mortar 10 90 1 0 4+ Artillery
> Thudd Gun 10 45 2 0 4+ Artillery
>
> While we're at it, how's this for the individual Eldar support
> weapons,
> per the distinction in WD 214:
>
> Weapon Move Range FirePower Assault Armour Notes
> Scatter Laser 10 30 4 0 4+
> Hvy. Plasma 10 45 2 0 4+
> Las Cannon 10 45 2 0 4+
> D-Cannon 10 45 disrupt 0 4+
> Missile Lnchr 10 45 AT 0 4+
>
> Giving the full power of the D-cannon to a support weapon (at a cost
> of
> 15 points) seems to be a bit much, which is why I'm thinking it should
>
> just be disrupt instead. This list also -- finally -- gives the Eldar
>
> an AT shot. Finally, I know the Hvy. Plasma and Las Cannon are the
> same, but they are pretty similar weapons and I'm trying to keep these
>
> things at all the same points cost.

I agree with the stats for Mole Mortar & Thudd Gun but I think the stats
for Rapier are wrong:If Epic 40K is tied to the WH40K game, the rapier
should be considered as the master AT support weapon, as it is one of
the most effective armor-piercing support in the 28mm game.
It is quite useless in troop shooting as it is no better than a
lascannon, but it gain a better penetration vs tanks and bunkers.
this told I'd suggest these stats for the weapon:

Rapier 10 30 2*AT 0 4+

The cost of this weapon could then be raised a bit if you feel so, but
remember it's range is shorter then the others, so it is hard to bring
it in action.

For the same reasons of tying the game to the 28mm I'd like the option
to get Land Riders for the squat unit (at the same cost as for Space
Marines, as in WH40K):
in the squat strategy I see this tank eminently as an armored troop
transporter (they can get far more effective fire-support engines), so I
would allow it to be chosen as supports (like Rhinos), not as LD
detachment.

Any suggestions?

Pippero