Re: [Epic] Building "Cover"

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Nov 1997 08:17:14 -0500

A. Allen McCarley wrote:

> Yes, we play it differently. Under Epic 40K rules, if you are inside
> a building or woods you may shoot out in any direction, and be shot
> at from any direction. In order to break LOS, you must be on the other
> side of the woods/building and not in it.
> I find that this rule change from SM/TL greatly improves game play. Of
> course, do what you like. In the designer notes, AC and JJ point out
> that they generally used terrain pieces of a certain size (20x20cm?)
> and that if you were further in than that within a *big* terrain piece,
> then you might want to say you were out of LOS. None of the buildings
> released in any of the game boxs, I believe, are bigger than this.

How does this improve game play? I intend to stick with: units on
the edge of cover can shoot out and be shot at, units inside have
LOS problems, same as units on the far side of terrain. (I also
don't care for the LOS rule about being higher than intervening
terrain.) But tell me how it improves game play, and maybe I'll
see what I'm missing and change my mind. Does it add something,
or just remove a problem from the old system?

thanks,

andy

--
Andy Skinner