Re: [Epic] skimmers and avoiding getting shot

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Sun, 16 Nov 1997 22:06:38 -0600

> Well, the "two passes and the phase is over" thing could work, but
> why not "two passes and the original passer _must_ shoot something?"
> It seems to me less dangerous in terms of people passing after shooting
> only one detachment, and then losing the opportunity to shoot with the
> other 6 htat are in range. Know what I mean?

The rules don't say either way, so we don't play it either way. Since I face
mostly Squat and Eldar opponents, I end up facing lots and lots of skimmers
every game and often face the situation where both players want to other
to shoot first. It's always become fairly clear when neither side is willing
to fire anymore, and we've never had a problem deciding upon when to end
the firing phase.

       "No way I'm firing my tanks until after your Airships pop-up."

       "No way I'm firing my Airships until after your tanks on
         overwatch fire!"

       "Ready to end the firing phase then?"

       "Yeah, guess so......."

And yes, occaisionally one side or another has decided it was important
enough to shoot someone else that they went ahead and fired.

I think this works just fine, and have no desire to return to the
SM2 artificial system of "you must fire a detatchment, or lose the
opportunity to fire a detachment."

Allen (The Q&A guy)
Check out the EPIC and EPIC 40K Q&A Pages at:
     http://work1.utsi.edu:8000/~amccarle/default.html
If you have questions about EPIC 40K and can't find the answers
in the rule books, send them to:
                    allen_at_...
They will be passed on to Jervis Johnson and Andy Chambers.