Re: [Epic] Swooping Hawk Warlocks?

From: Dirk Vormann <DVormann_at_...-duisburg.de>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 18:56:18 +0100 (MEZ)

On Mon, 17 Nov 1997, Neil R. Thomason wrote:

> >The question about how other people use Swooping Hawks:
> >
> >I either use the new rules and drop ten of them (all with Exarchs) or give
> >them five wave serpents as transport. They can engage an opponent 65 cm
> >away in close combat! At best include two or three warlocks as well!
>
> This highlights my main problem with the suggested 'winged psyker' miniature
> conversion. I imagine the figure looks good, but in terms of the game rules
> and background - no. There's nothing to suggest Warlocks qualify for Hawk
> packs, and having the miniature tempts abuse of the rules. If you're using
> the new rules about bringing Hawks onto the table as drop pod troops, you
> can only include Hawks and their Exarch - no Warlocks!
>
> Sorry if this sounds like a flame; I don't intend it as criticism of any
> individual. Just trying to pre-empt the flying Terminators!
>
> Cheers,
>
> NRT
>
> New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group

I have to admit that a Warlock with wings does not really fit into the
background perfectly well. Still I used such Hawks several times (with my
opponents permission, of course) and neither of us felt they were
unbalanced in game terms. It may semm horrible to see several psykers
dropping close to your artillery (or encirceling your tanks), but it is
not as bad as it seems to be.
Exarchs rip everybody apart anyway, so Psykers do not really harm the
enemy any further.

DV