Re: [Epic] Swooping Hawk Warlocks?

From: Neil R. Thomason <n.thomason_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 19:34:32 GMT

>Neil, what do you base this on? The Army Book, page 70, gives upgrades
>of Aspect Warriors to jump packs, and also to psyker. It specifies
>that you can't combine jump packs and heavy weapons, but I don't see
>any rules reason why you can't add psyker to it. If you weren't
>supposed to combine those upgrades, wouldn't it have given Warlock
>an asterix, like jump packs and heavy weapons?

Good point. I suppose the game rules allow it, but there's been no mention
of the idea since Warlocks and Hawks were invented, so it doesn't follow the
spirit of the army as described to date. I could see that a Warlock who was
once a Hawk Aspect Warrior might still know how to operate a Hawk pack, if a
bit out of practice, so yes, go ahead if you feel it's appropriate. I
won't. Personally, I think there SHOULD have been an asterisk preventing a
unit from having both the Warlock and Jump Pack upgrades.

As it's been described, Eldar wear masks in releasing the destructive
aspects of their nature. With his/her mask on, a Hawk Aspect Warrior would
be more agile and able to interact with the wings of the Hawk pack and the
air itself than the same person when not wearing the mask. The mask is a
symbol of a state of unique mental focus. Similarly, with his/her mask on,
a Warlock would be able to direct psychic energy in ways he/she could not do
as a normal Seer away from the battlefield. So, a Warlock, no longer on the
Path of the Warrior, no longer wearing a Hawk mask and no longer training
daily in the Hawk Shrine, could not operate the wings with sufficient
dexterity in the sudden thermals and downdrafts of a chaotic battle whilst
still maintaining concentration for psionics.

Leaving the spirit of the game aside, I thought the new rules about bringing
Hawks onto the table as drop pod troops specified that only Hawks and their
Exarch could be included in dropping detachments, with no other upgrades.
This at least implies that Warlocks can't have jump packs.

Cheers,

NRT

New Study of Obesity Looks for Larger Test Group