Re: [Epic] Swooping Hawk Warlocks?

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 1997 15:44:34 -0500

Neil R. Thomason wrote:

> >Neil, what do you base this on? The Army Book, page 70, gives upgrades
> >of Aspect Warriors to jump packs, and also to psyker. It specifies
> >that you can't combine jump packs and heavy weapons, but I don't see
> >any rules reason why you can't add psyker to it. If you weren't
> >supposed to combine those upgrades, wouldn't it have given Warlock
> >an asterix, like jump packs and heavy weapons?
>
> Good point. I suppose the game rules allow it, but there's been no mention
> of the idea since Warlocks and Hawks were invented, so it doesn't follow the
> spirit of the army as described to date.

        But how are E40k players supposed to know what the 'spirit'
of the army is, when they're told next to nothing about the Eldar
race? Only WH40k and old Epic players are likely to have access to
that sort of fluff.

        Telling someone who has potentially never been exposed to the
40k universe prior to Epic 40k that their legal force selection is
against the 'spirit' of their army is a little silly. Don't blame
them for GW's mistakes. All of the info you cite in the rest of your
post is nowhere to be found in any of the Epic 40k books.

        Nevermind that the 'spirit' of each army is subjective, and
is at least partly dependent on which version of the 40k history that
one subscribes to. There are also multiple ways to interpret the
current background - frex, is an Eldar force without guardians against
the 'spirit' of the Eldar army?

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"Stupid f**king words!" - Fugazi