Re: [Epic] Dire Avenger/Fire Dragon/Shining Spear Aspect Warriors

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 14:27:00 -0500

Dirk Vormann wrote:

> This profile seems superior to the DA, so perhaps one profile should be
> used for both types in case the FD is to powerful (This means: use DA
> Profile for DA and FD Aspect Warrior.) As long as the point cost is
> correct I would prefer different Profiles.

        I don't think their profiles are sufficiently different
to warrant seperate stats. They're both short-ranged firepower.
While the DAs are more anti-infantry and the FDs are more anti-tank,
there's no good way to reflect that difference that if you're going
to give both troop types FP (as opposed to giving the FDs an AT shot
or something).

> Once we splitted up the above tapes lets move to the "basic" type:
> Striking Scorpions and Howling Banshees.
>
> The unchanged basic stats are used by Striking Scorpions.

        So warp spiders are just as good as scorps in CC? I just
don't buy that. GW really messed up the aspect listings, IMHO. If
they were going to base them off of one stat line and produce all
the different aspects with simple upgrades, they should have done
something like:

        Move Range FP Assault Armor
Aspect 15cm 15cm 1 2 or 3 4+
  Dire Avengers or Fire Dragons -> add Rapid Fire
  Striking Scorps or Howling Banshees -> add Assault
  Swooping Hawks or Warp Spiders -> add Jump Packs
  Dark Reapers -> add Heavy Weapons

For Exarchs, use the Space Wolf ability (which is a simple +1 to
Assault with no penalties). This allows you to add Exarchs to
SS and HB units, AND you don't need a special rule to cover the
case of adding an Exarch to a DR unit.

        The only thing I don't like about the above is representing
FDs with Rapid Fire.

> HBs may add a special ability. They get +1 Assault Value if they charge
> and -1 in case they are charged.

        Too complex. Now you're getting into the realm of Space
Marine-type special rules...

> Shining Spear:
>
> Tricky one this.
>
> Start with basic (Harlequin) Jet bike (15Pts) Profile.

        Harli jet bikes aren't any different than the regular jet
bikes.

> Allow Psyker (+10) and/or Exarch (assault, +1).
>
> Advantage: Jet bikes with FP 2 and AV 2.
> Disadvantage: You get only ONE unit per Main Force Slot.
> You may only choose the same number of SS Jet bikes as support as you
> have SS Bikes in the Main Force. This is to prevent Players having 10
> Guardian and 5 SS Jet bikes in one detachment. Expensive Vypers should be
> used as support.

        What exactly is the advantage of Shining Spears in WH40k?
I've never seen them fielded.

> Now some *ideas* concerning characters riding Vypers.
>
> You could allow a Warlock (Psyker,+10 Pts, works fine) or an Exarch
> (Assault) on a Vyper. The Problem is that the cost would have to be
> REDUCED for the Exarch. On the other Hand using cheaper Vypers gets you
> the same situation I mentiond concerning Shining Spears as support units.
> (To many cheap bikes in one detachment.)
> It seems best to increase the AV of a Vyper for an Exarch but to leave the
> Range unchanged. (+2 Pts)

        Or, instead of using +Assault to represent an Exarch, use
the Space Wolf ability (which really should have been named something
more generic than "Space Wolves")

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"All good people are asleep and dreaming"