Re: [Epic] Ork Waaaagh!

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Sun, 30 Nov 1997 02:43:40 -0800

Colen 'Not Colin' McAlister wrote:

> Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...> came forth and spoke
> thusly:
> >Ork Units -
> >
> >1 Bossbike
> >10 Buggies
> >10 Speedsters with Death Rays
> >
> >- Costs as much as a Titan, but will take out 1 Warlord or 8 LRs a turn.
> Not a nice detachment... bit cheesy...

Yes and No. If you are facing one, all you need to do is make sure
there's a thin screen of expendables 31cm away from the Titan. The
Titan's longer range stuff backs them up.

Like many E40K special tactics there are plenty of counters. Virtually
any 500 pt unit(s) of tanks and infantry will take this unit out UNLESS
it in turn is adequately protected.

> >1 warboss
> >6 Boyz
> >12 Pulsas
> >
> >- This is an average of 9 BMs a turn on prep fire. 12 if you overwatch.
> This one's a bit dodgy as well. I liked the rest of them, though.

But Tyrannids, and Chaos can do it better at longer ranges - for more
cost, of course. Getting it into that 45cm range before it evaporates
takes considerable skill. Eldar can do the same, just with Wave Serpents
rather than artillery. Imperials - Land Raiders or Deathstrikes can
provide an effective antidote. Catch this unit with Flyers and watch it
melt. Hit it with Heavy Artillery at long range. Zap it with bikes.
Again, this is only "Cheese" (ie grossly effective for the points) if
you hadn't thought of the obvious counters.
LRs are overly effective, but not quite cheesy by this definition, as
they are susceptible to units like the above, plus CC. Deathstrikes
(v1.1 with D6 Death Rays not D6 AT shots) OTOH are Cheesy, as there's no
counter.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo