Re: [Epic] Skaven: NOT WD 217 free gift!

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 1997 00:21:10 -0700

HornedRat wrote:

> <<> By the way the skaven are the "strange things" in the pyramids on
> > gorkamorka. GW is just finishing up the stats and new items for them. Yet
> > again I was assured that they will be out no later than a half year but
> again
> > I think about a year. >>
>
> Hmm..no..I don't think so. First of all, Space Skaven would be one of the
> most horribly stupid things GW could ever do. It'd be Teenage Mutant Ninja
> Turtles all over again. And completely unoriginal. And, being that the
> Necrons have been confirmed, and seem to have an Egyptian thing goin' (someone
> described one as having an ankh on it), I'd think that the strange signal
> coming from Angelis, and the pyramids, would have something to do with the
> Necrons. And, of course, there's a picture of a Necron head in one of the
> Gorkamorka books. Space Skaven. LOL. I'd trust GW never to be dumb enough
> to make that mistake. Maybe a very rare, localised, form of rat-like
> Beastman, but not an entire race that's able to threaten other armies....and
> happens to be called the Skaven. Space Orks are bad enough, but they're
> already an established part of the 40k universe (and not just animal-men).
>
> HornedRatI think they'd be "stupid enough to do it; look at their track recorded.
The fact is, they no that the best thing their games have got is a rich
and endearing, if somewhat non-original background originating from
their fantasy game. They have consistently depended on the love of
particular races to sell their games. That's why nearly every game they
have made has featured the exact same races.

Who would have thought of such an inherently dumb idea as space elves or
space orks from scratch. But it works. You all can probably name people
who play orks in every game GW makes, or elves.

A case in point; necromunda was not developing a strong following with
many of the gamers in our area, until the outlanders compendium came out
featuring elves, orks and tyrannids in a HIVE of all places. The many
really crappy excuses for them being there, but suddenly our group
doubled in size with people wanting to make gangs of those races.
Sadly, most of the new rules and gangs really ruined the game for most
players, and the group disintegrated after about a month. So the other
consistent thing about GW's games is that they would all be much better
with a sensible magic/ psychic system.

So I KNOW that Space Skaven will come, as will SPace undead (necrons, I
bet), and Space lizards. It may not be for another few rules iterations,
but they will come.

Thane