[Epic] New rules for defending in CC

From: Jon Nielsen <jon_at_...>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 1997 14:51:19 +0100

Ken Taborek wrote:
> It is completely unrealistic to say that an entrenched and ready
> force can be engaged in close combat without getting to fire a single
shot
> at their attackers. Epic2 was _slightly_ better with regard to this,
> since the charged unit got a shot off at the attackers, but they had to
be
> on first fire to do so.

What happend to me once:
3 support platforms, 2 Guardians and 2 Adspect Warriors were inside a
building.
Outside were 2 Night Spinners. His bikes made a CC aggainst the Night
Spinners.
The rest of the bikes sorroundet the building. The support of my troops in
the
building was about the same as that of the sorrounding bikes. CC was 4 to
1.
My spinners died, and my troops who could not be touched by the bikes
while inside the building said: "Oh, how horrid! Lets all run for
the nice, safe hills" and so the did. And, of cource, they were all killed,

since the building was sorroundet....The only words I can think of are:
"?*&#!!-� rules!!"

Something must be done!!! ~:-[

How about this house rule: :-)
A det. on overwach can opt not to fire. If they are charged in the CC
phase,
they get to shoot at their attackers (no re-rolls) right before these reach
them.
This gives could give the attackers some casualties and BM's, making it a
bit easier for the defenders to win. The way it is now, a few assault
troops
can make a large det. of well dug-in heavy-weapons boys run for the hills,
simply by attacking two to one, thereby having 4 times the assault value
of the deffenders. They win easily even though only 1 of ten diffenders
actually
fight. Giveing the deffenders a chance to shoot would make this more fair.
I also mean that you can prepare to be engaged by "digging-in"

Or how about this one: :-D
Troops IN COVER that loose a CC or a FF don't have to run if their
attackers
can't enter that type of cover. Of course, they won't be killed if they
choose
to stay and thereby remain within 15 cm of the enemy.

I like these rules, and will certanly use the later one.

Comments from all experienced gamers are welcomed.

Jon "The Psyker" Nielsen
jon_at_...

This is Lameth, The Dark Messiah, signing off

"It's driving me crazy, I simply can't stop thinking!"