Re: [Epic] New rules for defending in CC

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 09 Dec 1997 13:01:59 -0500

Jon Nielsen wrote:

> since the building was sorroundet....The only words I can think of are:
> "?*&#!!-$ rules!!"
>
> Something must be done!!! ~:-[
>
> How about this house rule: :-)
> A det. on overwach can opt not to fire. If they are charged in the CC
> phase,
> they get to shoot at their attackers (no re-rolls) right before these reach
> them.
> This gives could give the attackers some casualties and BM's, making it a
> bit easier for the defenders to win. The way it is now, a few assault
> troops
> can make a large det. of well dug-in heavy-weapons boys run for the hills,
> simply by attacking two to one, thereby having 4 times the assault value
> of the deffenders. They win easily even though only 1 of ten diffenders
> actually
> fight. Giveing the deffenders a chance to shoot would make this more fair.
> I also mean that you can prepare to be engaged by "digging-in"

        What happens if the detachment doesn't get assaulted,
though? An easier solution would be to just give anyone on OW
orders a bonus to the CC roll (and perhaps the total FP of the
detachment would determine just how much of a bonus).

        In any case, I think that you're just trying to compensate
for a symptom of the real problem, which is that assault troops
move too damn fast. To solve that, you could modify the transport
rules in a few ways. For instance, you could apply the 5cm
penalty before any charging bonuses. Or, use the SM rule where
if the transport uses, say, 60% of it's movement, the troops
inside can only use 40% of theirs.

> Or how about this one: :-D
> Troops IN COVER that loose a CC or a FF don't have to run if their
> attackers
> can't enter that type of cover. Of course, they won't be killed if they
> choose
> to stay and thereby remain within 15 cm of the enemy.

        Makes sense. Then again, the troops in the building
or whatever are going to get stuck in a FF with the vehicles
surrounding them... What happens when broken troops get
broken again?

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"The day will not save them. And we own the the night." - Warmaster
Horus