Re: [Epic] Epio vechicle size

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Fri, 12 Dec 1997 16:22:40 -0600

----Original Message-----
From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
To: space-marine_at_... <space-marine@...>
Date: Friday, December 12, 1997 3:02 PM
Subject: Re: [Epic] Epio vechicle size

.
>How big are the GW infantry compared to microarmor scale infantry? (Of
>course, it depends on which figures you're talking about. Some of those
>scouts won't be able to fit into space marine armor until they shrink
>'em.) Are microarmor infantry the same scale as their vehicles? (I
>think this is more likely to be true for historical microarmor than
>for GW.) Some GW infantry are obviously bigger than 6mm scale. Of
>course, the Rhino is a pretty old model, dating from when most of the
>epic figures were smaller, whether or not they were ever really 6mm.
>(Those guardians have gotten a lot bigger, with some intermediate sizes
>between the really tiny little ones that were in the 2nd edition main
>box and the imposing ones they have now.)

Assuming that you get all your stuff from the same company, yes they are all
the same size. The problem is that "Micro Armor" means either 1:300, 1:285
or 1:220. If you get stuff that is all 1:285, for example GHQ and CinC, it
all looks ok together. You add in some thing that is 1:300 and the vehicles
look a bit small and 1:220 looks large. This really only kicks in if you
have several minis of the same "real" vehicle, but in mixed scale, (i.e 1
GHQ Tiger II and 2 Heroic & Ross Tiger II, not to say that I have that
mix....)

GHQ infantry sucks. Nothing should be based on what it looks like. Their
armor, on the other hand, is what all other Micro Scale stuff is measured
against. Very good looking stuff here. Better, IMNSHO, than GW, in that
the "detail' level and size is correct for something of this size, but is
still quite clean, "crisp" and visible.

The other companies infantry is all about the same as GW epic stuff, at
least the ones that I have seen. The Heroic & Ross cavalry, for example is
exactly the same size as GW Rough Riders.

>I've seen some (probably 1/300) microarmor, and have trouble believing
>they are anywhere near the scale of either GW infantry or GW vehicles.
>I bought Renegade Legions for some grav tanks, but only the biggest
>look even plausible. I'm going to use three of them for falcons,
>and they look more like the new ones than the old ones. But the
>rest are doomed to be small Full Thrust space ships. I can't imagine
>GW models in these things unless they were lying down. But they'd
>be very believable (in scale) next to my friend's microarmor.
>
>Anyway, just curious about whether you can just compare the size of
>the vehicles and come to a conclusion. Do microarmor infantry look
>like you could fit them into the vehicles?

In short, no. But then again YOU don't look like you will fit in your
vehicle either, (I am assuming that you are normal sized human male. I
could be wrong here), in that you are obvsiouly way taller than your car.
I have seen a full squad of US Army infantry, with all there gear, weapons,
odd, ends, things & stuff laid out on the ground in front of a M113. My
thought was "There is no way all that is going in that track." Not only did
it all fit, they had room for seveal boom boxes and a 12v DC powered color
TV set.

Epic Infantry, for the most part, is real close to 1:300/ 6mm scale. I am
not sure what scale their AFV's are, not having a real thing to measure it
against and do the math on.

Battletech stuff, BTW is 10mm scale (1:180 scale), which make their infantry
look WAY over sized next to Epic infantry, so much so that I am going to be
using them as a "alien" race when I get around to the non-GW stuff part of
Epic 41K (say early 1998)