Re: [Epic] Holofields

From: Larry Irish <wirish1_at_...>
Date: Wed, 31 Dec 1997 19:12:48 -0500

>> I would like clarification on whethor or not Holofields negate the
>> placement of Blast Markers. 1 response suggested yes and the other
>> suggested no. Personally I think the Titan suffers the BMs but it is
>> unclear exactly what the full effects of the Holofields are.
>
>Well, I will have to traverse two states and get to my rule books
>before I can be sure, but going from memory the Holofield will
>not negate a blast marker. You determine "hits" by checking
>your dice rolls against the armour of your target. The holofield
>then grants the target a save vs. the hits. Saved or not, you
>got a hit so the enemy takes a blast marker. Also, I seem to
>recall that an enemy who makes its save via the "save" ability
>still counts as being hit, so the same should work here.
>Allen (The Q&A guy)

I play Elar (OK, ok....I _will_ play Eldar, as soon as I _paint_ the bloody
little gits... :), so this question grabbed my attention.
As I had my rulebooks near at hand, here are some quotes from the rulesbooks...

[Armes book, pg.65 - Eldar War Engines section, Holofield description
paragraph]
"Because of this, Eldar Titans receive a 2+ saving throw against any and
all hits they take, rather like a unit with the _save_ special ability
does."

So, not very definate (typical <sigh>), but it gives us a place to start.

[Rules Book, pg.37 - Special Abilities section, Save description]
"Units with the Save special ability get a saving throw against each hit
inflicted on them. If they can roll a 4, 5, or 6 on a D6 when they suffer a
hit for any reason the hit is discounted and has absolutley no effect!
Blast markers are still placed on units which make their save."

So, you could argue that the Holofield is different from the Save special
ability, in that it prevents BM's, but I'd think you to be a loony. If HF's
act at all like a Save, then they clearly don't prevent BM's.

IMO, as an Eldar player, that is. :)

Does this clear up any confusion, or just stoke the fire?? :)

Larry