Re: [Epic] Imperial Guard Detachments

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Sun, 04 Jan 1998 23:21:12 -0700

HornedRat wrote:

> Hmm, I dunno if this is any help, 'cause I'm just starting my own IG army, but
> here's about what I've got planned so far for a 2000 pt army. It's all based
> around the idea that more is better, and each detatchment is an entire
> company. It's all the "elite" 1st companies of each type.
>
> Detatchment 1; 3rd Macragge, A Company
> Command HQ (psyker)
> 1st Platoon- 2 tac, 1 support
> 2nd Platoon- Command squad, 2 tac, 1 support
> 3rd Platoon- Command squad, 1 tac, 2 support
> Auxilia- 2 Ogryn units, 2 Hydrae

This looks good for holding a point

> Detatchment 2; 3rd Macragge, 1st Tank company
> Commander in Leman Russ
> 3 Leman Russ squadrons of 3 tanks each (ten Russes total...ahh...)
> Squadron of 3 Hellhounds
> Auxilia- 2 IG tac squads, each in a Chimera, 2 Hydrae

I think you should add more infantry, solely for absorbing hits to get a
 line of troops keeping assaulters from your expensive tanks. It's hard
for IG to win assaults, but you can try to insure that your vehicles get
a chance to escape as a broken unit capable of fighting another day. i
is a shame that ogryn can't join artillery companies; they're perfectly
suited to the task as fodder (5+ armor for 10 pts) and anti-assault.

I'm not sure about the hydras; Flak is largely ineffective, especially
when thunderbolts are only two more points. It can also lead to
agonizing decisions about whether to stay on normal orders to get better
shots on the enemy or to get on flak orders to defend yourself from
flyers. If you plan to stay in one place, flak units are OK.

> Detatchment 3; 3rd Macragge, 1st Artillery company
> Commander in Bombard
> 2 Basilisk batteries of 3 each
> 1 Battery of 3 Bombards
> 1 Deathstrike
> Auxilia- 2 IG support squads, each in a Chimera, and 2 Hydrae

This is nearly identicle to my artillery Detat (which has been very
effective). The deathstrike keeps smaller titans away, and this is the
best unit to deploy hydras with; you don't move, and usually want to
prep bombard or overwatch anyway. I'd take some more "cheap" infanty
fodder to keep a defensive screen against flyers and soak up hits; you
can lose 7 tac stands for the cost of one siege artillery unit.

> Detatchment 4; 3rd Macragge, Super Heavy Tank company
> A Baneblade and a Shadowsword

I don't know if this will be effective or not; I usually deploy my
superheavies in groups of three of one type and 1 of the other. A titan
probably wont be afraid of 8 FP and one deathray, but it OUGHT to be
afraid of 24 FP and one deathray, or 3 deathrays and 8 FP. I usually
pick an anti infantry mission or firefight support mission (lots of FP)
or an anti-war engine mission (lots of deathrays with FP support) when I
build a heavy tank company. I still haven't decided whether superheavies
are better deployed as a group or individuals.

> Detatchment 5; Imperial Navy stuff
> 6 Thunderbolts, and 2 Marauders (I think). I'm not sure how many detatchments
> this'll actually be.

Probably 2 detats, unless your opponent likkes lots of flyer groups, in
which case three for more interception flexibility. I've seen no benefit
to flying my thunderbolts in the same Detat as marauders or thunderhawks
(we haven't decided whether thunderhawks can join marauders and
thunderbolts anyway).

I'm not sure about maurauder flight size; 2 is 1 auto blast maker, 4 is
2 auto blast markers, 5 is three. I would probably field them in froups
of 5, reducing the VP liability (2 seems like a real VP liability; kill
one and lose three VP. 5 would take 3 kills for 5 vp)

I hope this helps.

Thane