Re: [Epic] Net Epic: First Fire & Command Units

From: Spatula <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 1997 10:44:21 -0500

> From: "nethol" <nethol_at_...>
>
> As the rules go you cannot shoot at a command unit unless it is not the
> closest unit to you.

        Closest unit of the same size class to you (infnatry/vehciles,
super-heavy, titan). SHVs cannot screen infantry commanders.

> This rule sometimes creates very illogical situations
> where the weapon you fire is incapable of damaging the closer units. A
> command unit walking besides a SHV or strolling between troops dug-in in
> fortifications, in spite of being the most (perhaps only) eligible unit
> within LOS, is safe from infantry fire. This is especially frustrating in
> cases like 2 tech-marines and 3 shadow swords "protect" each other.
>
> How about modifying the rule to read as something like:
> "A command unit cannot be shot at if there are closer targets to the
> shooting unit that are damagable by the shooting weapon".

        No need.

        I would prose the addendum to the current rules that if
all closer units of the proper size are in cover and the commander
is not, you can shoot at the command unit in question. frex,
your IG tac detachment is facing a long fang unit in a building
and ragner blackmane is slightly further away, out in the open.
The detachment should be able to shoot at Ragner (who they actually
have a chance of hitting).

Scott
shupes_at_...