Re: [Epic] War Engine BM suggestion

From: Carl Billen <billenc_at_...>
Date: Fri, 6 Feb 1998 15:03:11 +0100

Scott wrote :
> Good one. But why base it off of point values? Or rather,
>what kind of numbers do you get if you base it off of DC instead (so
>that a WE's ability to ignore BMs is related to its size & toughness)?
>Perhaps DC/2, or two-thirds of DC, or something like that (don't have
>my books handy). Could go a long way to making the Tyranid titans
>look worthwhile.
Ok, let's look at the values when the 'BM Ignorance Number' would equal DC/2
:

Imperator : 12 Yuk !
Warlord : 6
Leviathan, Adeptus Titanicus Ordinatus, Reaver : 4
Shadowsword/Baneblade, Warhound : 2
Mega Gargant : 12 Also Yuk !
Great Gargant : 9
Gargant : 6
Battle Fortress : 2
Phantom : 4
Revenant, Scorpion, Cobra : 2
Plague Tower, Lord Of Battles : 4
Subjugator, Questor : 2
Dominatrix : 5
Hierodule : 6
Hierophant : 9

This would result in almost no change for the Imperial Troops (except for
the Imperator and the Ordinatus), no change for the Eldar, the Orks can soak
considerably more BMs (Great Gargants and Mega Gargants can eat BMs for
breakfast), Chaos has a slightly better Plague Tower and Lord of Battles,
and the 'Nids have better HieroBeasties, but the Dominatrix stays the same.

The question is, would the value be based on the starting DC, or the current
DC ? More 'realistic' results can be gained by using the current DC, as a
Titan which is almost shot to pieces would be susceptable to explosions
(BM)around them ('But Captain, the inertial dampers are offline ! We cannot
shoot straight, even with our fancy targeters !'). This would, however,
result in recalculation of 'BM Ignorance number' before each fire phase when
the War Engine was damaged.

Nice suggestion though. It's good that I had my Army Book with me to read
on the bus when driving to my work ^_-

Carl Billen
billenc_at_...