RE: [Epic] Avatar Transport

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Tue, 10 Feb 1998 15:44:49 -0600

> I thought it was optional to allow them into vehicles which can
> transport
> more than 4 stands.
> Put Wraithguard and avatar in
> > > Avatar cannot ride in transport. Check out the Battles book.
> > You refere to an optional rule which is OPTIONAL!
> > Avatar is infantry (and is transported in a Vampire in battle
> reports).

--------> Pretty sure that the transport rule mentions "infantry" and
that the avatar is on the "infantry" section of the eldar army list.
Unless there's an exception mentioned somewhere else which specifically
excludes him, this is legal.
And as someone else pointed out, FWIW the last WD battle report had an
Avatar dropping out of a Vampire with some escorts. I wouldn't rely too
much on those as rules guides, but it was such a big deal I think they
would have caught it if it was an illegal move...
Tyranid carnifexes can pull the same trick as they are also listed as
"infantry".

   Does it make sense that carnies and the avatar are transportable but
ork & Imperial (and eldar for that matter) dreads are not? No, but
them's the rules. There is an optional rule dealing with this wrinkle in
the back of the battles book, but it is a "suggestion" as they put it.

 We'd thrashed out some ideas on the list a while back about transport
costs - I think I was for counting vehicles as 3 units, which allows big
stuff to carry them, but you don't have to worry about crap like
squeezing predators into rhinos, etc. Others proposed a specific cost
based on size for each unit. There were probably other ideas too...

   There are other things like this in the game where a general rule
looks a little fishy in one specific situation (EX: What exactly _are_
genestealers or bloodletters doing when they snapfire at air units?),
but may be too much trouble to list exceptions too - then you fall down
the slippery slope of exceptions and special cases which was the alleged
downfall of SM/TL.

Chris Miller