Re: [Epic] GW and this list.

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Sat, 14 Feb 1998 00:10:11 -0700

Carl Woodrow wrote:

> > >Plus, I think we are all way outside what their targeted market is;
> 10-16 year olds. Maybe we should ask for more scantily clad female
> units, or how our acne has cleared up since playing E40K.
>
> Thane
>
> I don't know...*musing over this one*. The younger market is definately worth GW pursuing to get them involved early on. However I am
not convinced that it is

> It is like the PC games industry...their (well documented) target market is the 20-30 year old adult male who is both in work and has the
disposable income to

> Mind you saying that I do tend to see a lot more kids in the stores than adults...everytime I pop in I keep getting mistaken for someones
dad *doh!*....you hav

> Carl
>
> Carl Woodrow - Gene-seed and Dropship Editor
> Actually, I base my oppinion on what a semi-friend gamestore owner told
me; GW had suggested he kick out everyone over the age of 18 and
concentrate on middle schoolers and early high-schoolers. At the time I
didn't take him real seriously, as he was known to try to encourage a
false sense of indebtedness in many of his customers, but it was later
confirmed independantly by several other members of this list.

It also makes good, cold and hard capitalistic sense; They've pissed off
nearly all of their veteran gamers by this point, so they don't want us
bitching and moaning (and warning new players) about how we were
screwed. Also, many of us have most of what we will ever need in the way
of miniatures, so they don't make as much money by catering to us unless
they bring out a new, really appealing army (or ban all the old ones).
Finally, 10 - 16 year olds don't find the flaws in their games as
easily; their "brain trust" is effectively competing against minds they
can handle. Besides, at that age, having a tactically challenging game
is not nearly as much fun as laying waste to your opponent with a really
cheesed-out model.

Thane