Re: [Epic] SM Chaos - wasUncheesy detachments

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Mon, 16 Feb 1998 16:35:33 -0500

Miller, Chris wrote:

> > > --------->Ah, but you can form a shoulder-to-shoulder line of
> > > Minotaurs and
> > > seal off those bikes from getting to the tarantulas sometimes.
> >
> > Well, we played that units blocked LOS, so if I
> > totally surrounded my cannons/whatever with minotaurs, they
> > wouldn't be able to fire. So I saw the squats as a better
> > buy since they could shoot the crap out of any jetbikes that
> > tried the 'mad dash for the arty' trick.
>
> -------> You can leave a slot between units wide enough to see through,
> but not wide enough to walk thru, ya know.

        Yeah, but then you're severely limiting the Cannons'
fire arc. Like if you had something like this:

        ET

             M M
            M C M
             M M

where ET is an eldar titan, M is a minotaur and C is a cannon.
The cannon can't be close assaulted, and it can fire straight
forward without a problem, but the Eldar titan is in a 'blind
spot' thanks to the minotaur. If you're moving 2nd you could
presumably adjust the mins to fix this, but otherwise you're
SOL.

> > > -------> True, but the Vortex goes _somewhere_,
> >
> > Not in my case it doesn't. It also ALWAYS collapses
> > in the first end phase to come along. Feh.
>
> -------> Well that's YOUR problem, mister. My problem was armor saves
> when I played chaos. Especially things that were supposed to make them.
> If they had a 2+, you can bet I'd roll a 1 at least once a turn.

        Oh well that's not much of a problem for me, what
with my magic armor die (just ask Erik R. how many daemon
saves I was making yesterday in our E40k battle... god, I
love that die). Too bad it only really works for armor
saves (nah, gamers aren't superstitous at all!).

> My
> friends was Magnus' eye and flyers. The eye normally hit once per game,
> and his flyers regularly died the first turn. This was even after he
> learned to stop flying them over Goff Nobz with the mekboy card where
> they get an extra shot (Kustom Shootas, I think), so you get 24
> shots...even Tzeentch ain't gonna "change" that outcome.

        Heh! But do not doubt the power of Tzeentch....

> Even after that
> lesson, they died every single time. Towers too, but that was just
> because they sucked...: )

        Yes indeed.

> > Flamers are another one like that. Useless in SM/TL,
> > the exact opposite in E40k. You'd think they're doing it
> > deliberately - evil bastards! =)
>
> ------> OK, now that "evil: thing IS another post. and I had flamers.
> You're right, they sucked too. At least they came with the GD's, so I
> don't have to suffer the shame of having purchased them deliberately.

        The real shame was that I did a really good job painting
mine up. At least I get to use them in E40k now.

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"You can't throw me to the lions! I'm Charlton Heston!" - Lard