Re: [Epic] RGMW Newsgroup.

From: Steve Sheldon <s_sheldon_at_...>
Date: Tue, 24 Feb 1998 13:00:32 PST

>Objectives have been rendered irrelevant in favour of a shootfest
(sounds
>not unreasonable in a war game, but it's not exactly conducive to
>"tactics"...) It would be fair to paraphrase Patton with "victory goes
>the side with the biggest (in this case "baddest") battalions". Army
choice
>is about it as far as "tactics" go.

A fair point..

>E40K is disliked because of the marketing strategies and because it has
>removed flavour from the game. It is liked because it is "simple"
"quick"
>and "easy". Some people have suggested that it more accurately
simulates
>real warfare (and Patton seems to agree) but is this a good thing in a
>wargame set in thye year 40,000?
>

>If you want a real challenge, try playing a dozen games of SM/TL using
the
>random army generation charts posted a few weeks ago. Winning a game
with
>what are usually considered "useless" units IS a tactical challenge I
assure
>you...

I agree with you to a point, but I have to confess that I like the
subtle changes on a simple theme, that makes E40K, it is less emphasis
on the unit and more emphasis on the army, and army selection plays a
large role. I think it is a great improvement, but it is comparing
apples to oranges....
Steve

--
If you choke a Smurf, what colour does it go?