Re: [Epic] Epi ignored

From: Michael Reed <Reed_at_...>
Date: Tue, 3 Mar 1998 12:06:06 -0000

> EPIC will never receive the coverage of 40K, WFB, or whatever new they
> come up with. We're just gonna have to get used to it. I think they
> will keep supporting it and not send it they way of Necromunda/Man O'
> War.
>
> -- Aaron Day

I had a chat with Jervis Johnson when the GW staff visited my local
"chapter approved" club a couple of months back. Since we were the
only epic game out of 30+ tables, we got a lot of attention. The line
that the three staffers took was that Epic was a game they had a lot
of enthusiasm for, and which had a solid place in the line. BUT, it
had only a small fraction (5-10%) of their total sales.
Epic is unique in its position for GW. At the end of the day, it's a
mass battle game with no upper limit on the size of forces people
collect - which sets it apart from Necromunda, Blood Bowl etc.
For several reasons (depending of how bitter and cynical you're
feeling) it doesn't attract the audience that WFB and 40K do, and
so it never gets the coverage of those games. Kind of a catch-22,
perhaps?
                                        Mike Reed