Re: [Epic] New Player.. Not New lister

From: J. Michael Looney <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Tue, 03 Mar 1998 21:12:05 -0600

Derek Tabor wrote:

> I have decided to play Imperial Forces obviously and am asking as to what
> my next investment should be aside from the boxed set.

Vehicles Lots of vehicles. This is an movement based game, and walking
infantry is next to useless.

> I am definetely not playing strict Space marines.... I plan to have more
> than enough Imperial Guard in the army.. but since i do not as yet, know
> how the game works... i dont know how much a significant amount is.

Well, IG's main power is Tanks and Artillery. You will want some of
that also.

> I remember flipping thourgh my friends epic books for about 5 minutes, and
<snippage of WH40K prices>
> some sort of average... or does someone else have a good explanation?

To start with an IG heavy weapon squad in epic is 1/2 as many troops.
So in fact, to deploy the same amount of troops they cost twice as
much. Pay close attention to that line that says how big a squad is in
the army book. Some are 2 units, some are 1 unit, some are a variable
size and you pay per unit.

> Because the Titans are not 1/10th the cost by far...

Titans should not be any thing but terrain in WH40k. The fact that you
have some price for then is, well, odd.

> What is the typical game size for epic?

Around 1500 to 2000 points

> Would a Epic 40k, travel type game be interesting.. use 40k rules, but epic
> minis?
>
> How many points is that little box I got... I know its not much..
> 300? Are terminators really only 19 points?(small pic in WD 216 says 19 for
> termies, 30 for tactical)
Note here that termies are 1 stand, tactical is 2 stands. To deploy 10
termines (i.e. the number in a tactical squad) takes 38 points.

I have not figured the Marine infantry box, but the ork infantry box
comes to 293 points.

> Are there any special rules for Dark Angles or Blood Angels in Epic? Or is
> a space marine, a space marine?

Err...
There are some limited rules for the big "name" chapters in WD 210.
They are widely thought of as either a waste of time or just weird.
Right out of the box a marine is a marine is marine is a grunt.

> Also..
>
> How many Space Marine players paint the insignia on EVERY shoulder? That
> seems very tedious if not downright difficult without some sort of pen.. I
> mean the GW paint jobs on epic mini's are not so insanely difficult, but I
> saw the "U" on every Ultra Marine Terminator and almost vomited.
>
> And if I deside to play DA in epic, hell if i want to paint the Eagle+Sword
> on every shoulder.

Only if you are insane or paid to paint figures.

> Do Other people convert termie seargeants to a powersword? Some termies to
> chainfists? I'd like to convert one(This may sound odd, it doesnt add much)
> terminator to having a assault cannon. Hey call me weird or insane... I
> like that.

Good luck. You do know that doing that sort of thing, while it looks
cool, has no effect on the game stats of the stand. At least as of now.