RE: [Epic] New Player.. Not New lister

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Wed, 4 Mar 1998 10:44:12 -0600

> I advise you to forget about Leman Russ and
> Chrimeas. IG Support weapons attached to your infantry detachments are
>
> better than Leman Russ, while using Chimeras as troop transports is
> not
> worth the expense.

-----------> Gack! An IG army with no Russ's or Chimeras? Please...not
every unit needs them, but they are a pretty integral part of the
Imperial Guard schtick. I'm pretty sure most players will find it handy
to have at least one mobile unit, even if it's all tanks.Without this.
you have a very slow force. If you want to go with a foot assault army,
try orks.
   Also, the other hallmark of the Guard is artillery, so try to work in
a few blisters of those as well. If you minimize the tanks, you're going
to need something to keep the enemy busy while you hoof it into range.
Basilisks are the primary tool. Bombards are OK, though slow-firing.
Griffons are more for keeping up with a more mobile force, though
they'll work in a pinch. If you end up making a "firebase" detachment
heavy on artillery and not planning to move much, make 'em a bodyguard
unit too, maybe rough riders who can respond to other units some
distance away.

Chris Miller