Re: [Epic] Rants. Was SM/TL vs E40K unit costs

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Wed, 04 Mar 1998 15:01:09 -0500

Miller, Chris wrote:

> So, it's a compromise. We
> think the game looks better this way, but we think sniping all the
> leaders detracts from the fun of the game, so we're going to make this
> rule, giving us the best of both worlds. If you don't have this rule,
> then command units are always targeted first, and it's a valid, though a
> bit cheesy,

        Cheesy? Sounds fairly intelligent to me, if it's
allowed.

> tactic as the rules allow it. So you get a nasty exchange of
> fire as soon as people get into range, all the officers fall dead,

        And the other officers in the army learn to stay back
behind the lines, safe in their Leviathans, instead of running
around with the grunts where they can be captured or killed.
While WWII might have been more entertaining if the European
conflict ended with Hitler, decked out in Nazi super-armor
(ref Wolfenstein 3D), slugging it out with a similarly armed
and armored Eisenhower, things didn't pan out that way... Not
that I'm neccessarily arguing for more realism in GW games,
but I find it strange that in WH40k and the like, commanders
are on the front lines slaughtering grunts in hth combat
rather than sitting in a bunker directing the overall strategy.
Sure, it's fun to run around with a superhero on the board
causing vast amounts of mayhem, and sitting in a bunker isn't
very heroic, but putting your leaders in a position to be
easily captured or killed just so they can dice up some troops
with their lightning claws doesn't seem to be particularly
intelligent.

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"Stupid f**king words!" - Fugazi