Re: [Epic] what should i run as a 3000 point army against eldar?

From: <pentacle_at_...>
Date: Mon, 09 Mar 1998 22:50:11 -0500

>> >While a decent strategy, you will likely have a very boring game if you
>play the artillery too much. If you put a 1/3 to 1/2 of you points in
>static units, you lose the joy of maneuver and some of the bragging
>rights of victory (great, you beat me. A chimp could have kept his army
>on overwatch...) Also, if your opponent takes any nightspinners he can
>shut down a lot of points really quickly, plus cost you a lot of morale.
> Not that there's anything wrong with artillery, and against another
>pure artillery force it's probably the best thing (except being in their
>face with pods), it just removes a lot of thought from a game which has
>already lost much of its tactics. I've played the heavy artillery army,
>and its gets boring really fast.
>
>Take maybe 6 to 8 artillery for special purposes, and get in your
>opponents face with the rest.
>
>Thane

One thing nobody seems to talk about with artillerry, is the problem of its
total lack of movement. As most artillery units tend to be pretty weak in
the armor department it sems to me that an artilery group would face
serious problems when facing flyers of any kind. Fighta Bomrz would be an
ugly way to die for a heavy artilery army. And the fact that most
objectives require the army to move at least 90cm from their deployment
zone or even into the enemies deployment zone. Without some very movable
troops those artilery would end up fighting a loosing battle of atrition,
while the enemy gained morale for objectives. Enough d6 loses for Capture
objectives and its all over.

                Aerich Frodoson
                        "When all else fails, use bigger gunz"