Re: [Epic] Digital Cameras Rule!

From: Andy Skinner <askinner_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 13:11:27 -0500

Erik Rutins wrote:
> I don't know that much about digital cameras, but the one we are using
> is a Sony MVC-DF5 and it puts the pictures right on a floppy disk, which
> I think is very handy. I just set it up on a tripod with my 150W
> Halogen painting lamp overhead and the miniatures on an unfolded manila
> folder set down on a shelf. The macro on this camera is 2.2" so I was
> able to get very close! And thanks for the compliment, too.

Ours is whatever camera happens to be on our SGI system. Not very high
quality, I think, though there are parameters I haven't tried yet.

> > Sure, put 'em on a web page. The one thing I like better than seeing
> > people's miniatures is seeing pictures of battles. I like to see how
> > people set up their terrain, what kind of terrain they use, etc.
>
> I would very much like to take battlefield pictures, terrain pictures,
> etc. We have great photo-ops every battle but I haven't had a chance to
> capture them until now!

I think it would be neat to have a camera mounted on a tripod and take a
picture after every move or shot. Then combine the pictures into an
MPEG movie so you can watch the flow of the battle. I suppose that it
wouldn't work out--a battle with a total of 12 detachments would have a
move and a shot per turn (maybe an assault move), so a 6 turn game would
only have 72 frames--not very long. You couldn't really see the models,
either, just the detachments. But I think it would be neat. The memory
wouldn't be so bad once it was compressed into an MPEG.

andy

--
Andy Skinner
askinner_at_...