Re: [Epic] Supermarkets (believe it or not ON TOPIC)

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Thu, 19 Mar 1998 17:02:28 -0700

Doug Burton wrote:

> Thane Morgan wrote:
> >
> > COOK MATTHEW JOHN wrote:
> > >
> > > My sister works in the purchasing department for a UK supermarket.
> > > Her boss was sent a load of samples from GW which he didn't want (my
> > > sister say huge box!) which Im going to get for free!!(GLOAT, GLOAT,
> > > GLOAT).
> > > I havent got a clue whats in this 'huge box' so may well have stuff
> > > to trade when I finally get it of her.
> > > Anyway just thought you might be interested as for GW to start
> > > supplying Supermarkets (not normal toy stores) seems a very big
> > > change to me.
> > > Any comments folks?
>
> Is this in the U.S? Gee, if the non-traditional outlets begin carrying
> GW products we will definately see price reductions. Imagine stores
> like Sams/Walmarts, Meijer et al carrying GW products...all at reduced
> prices. I rarely see any item selling for sgrp in a grocery type
> store...at least the ones I frequent :)
> Doug

I was in a discussion with a local gamestore owner today, and we came to
a conclusion: GW needs to do a national marketing campaign like WOTC did
for magic:the obsession. Right now, not enough people even know of the
existence of such games, and many of them associate it with "Satanic"
Dungeon and Dragons. They need something to make it appear
"yuppie-on-the-edge", like the image magic commercials projected, but
with more violence.

This would likely get more people into wargaming in general without
pissing off all of the game stores who have stuck with GW even when
asked to squeal like a pig.

Thane