[Epic] Re:

From: Thane Morgan <thane_at_...>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 1998 19:24:57 -0700

> In game terms, I am going to be fighting an swarm with a 700 point
> advantage. My advantage is a strong defensive position, facing a large area
> with little cover. Special rules we are using is no droppods (storyline
> limit), and only re-rolls from fate cards. The Space Marine base is a
> cleanse Objective for the Tyrannids, while the marines needs to live
> through 7 turns to be concidered as having succeeded. We will also be using
> building destruction rules, developed by a member of the group.
>
> So what do you think in 2000 points what can I do to do the damage required
> and still survive against a bigger, badder Swarm. I realize that Sauron and
> Thane are probably cackling at the idea of the Jesters dipped in BarBQue
> sauce slowly rosting of the burning hulk of a landraiders, but any ideas
> would be aprreciated.

Mmmmmmmmm... Tank Roasted Barbequed Jesters..

I have no idea if this will work, but I'll throw it out anyway.

first, use very few tanks, except what will provide barrages. You get more FP and
assault value from infantry for the points, and the bugs don't have much FP so armor
shouldn't be needed much. Try to establish FP based detats in three or four groups,
seperated by at least 50 cm. This will keep swarms from chomping one detat, hiding
during the firing phase in the cover where that Detat was and then charging to the next
juicy detat. They will have to move into the open to be fired at if they want to be
able to charge.

Second, outside of the core FP based detats, have a bunch of <100 point CC/ firefight
units, the faster the better. The role of these will be to control the bug advance
first by occupying the places where the bugs could hide during the firing phase,
keeping them in LOS of the firing units. Secondly by Close Combating/Fire fighting in
an opportunistic fashion, to temporarily drive swarms back. Thirdly, by forcing swarms
to move laterally in assault phases, instead of towards the FP based units.

Thus a few of these detats will move out from your lines each turn you move first,
maybe even on march, to occupy cover the bugs might have used. This will actually allow
you to use turns where your opponent wins initiative and forces you to move first to
your advantage. If you end up moving second, use these units to get closer to side of a
bug swarm than the swarm is to a "good" detat of yours. That forces the swarm to move
sideways in the assualt phase.

If you win the assault phase, you may be able to get favorable odds in CC or a FF,
using a couple of converging skirmish units. If you can, you might as well go for it,
especially if you can get a bit of encirclement happening to kill fleeing bugs.

My biggest concern about this tactic is the affect of BM's on the skirmish units.
Playing by normal rules, it is quite possible that a skirmishing unit could cost you 10
or 15 morale when it is anighilated by a swarm (though its actual value would only be a
2 point loss),as they will likely take fire from 3 or 4 swarms per turn they are on
point, plus getting stomped at CC. I can't tell from your descrption if you are uning
morale for this battle; if not, I can't see much of a downside.

I think rough riders would make good skirmish units, though maybe switching to the more
heavily armorerd hellhounds might be more effective. Even the demolisher might be
acceptable, though you'd probably want to start it moving early in the game.

Maybe: 5 hell hounds + 1 hellhound command. 97 points. If you assault with them, use
one to engage and the rest to support

6 rough riders + 1 rough rider command - less durable, but could use terrain better.

Thane