Re: [Epic] Pro-GW Speech (Fishing for free stuff from GW)

From: Chris Miller <ironstar_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:18:07 -0500

>Unlike any other GW game Epic 40K seems to be a "buy the box, then buy
>miniatures for your army" as opposed to "buy the game, buy the expansion
pack,
>buy some new miniatures that we just made rules for, buy a campaign pack,
buy
>some card terrain, buy the miniatures for your army, buy your army book."

---------> Oh they've done this type of game before. Then they've been
cancelled in 2 years or less - other than the Epic 2nd ed, that is. (Man O
War, Blood Bowl, Space Fleet, Dark Future, Mighty Empires)

>If you notice that most of the articles in WD are around selling something.
>With Epic 40K there is not that much to sell. They've sold the game, and
every
>time they put out a new army they have a huge clump of articles. Since GW
is
>trying to put out all the miniatures for an army at the same time, we don't
see
>anything like what we got with the WHFB Daemon Princes and Greater Daemon
of
>Khorn.
-------> You'd think they'd at least try to sell the main game. Putting in
some of the old-style Battle Reports couldn't hurt.

>Now, I realize this article was actually about the cancellation of the
game,
>but I seriously doubt a big company like GW, who I hear is having a very
>profitable quarter, would cancel a game so quickly. I mean, they can afford
>let a game not make much profit for as long as they think it will take for
it
>to become extremely popular.

-----> I don't know that I'd call them "big", but for a game company I guess
they are. What you suggest is what we all hope will happen, but they don't
have a very good track record.

>As for the length of waiting for the new armies to come out. I've never
tried
>to sculpt for that scale, but I assume it is hard. Plus, look at the big
things
>that have come out recently. Greater Daemon and the Night Spinner. Plus
>modeling new Blood bowl teams.

-------> thay haven't made ne wBlllod bowl teams - they're just rissuing the
old ones, just like the game itself.
And as for the Greater Daemons - Ack, don't get me started.

>I think GW is very busy, and are working slowly but surely on the Chaos
Marine
>releases. I'm not very worried about Epic being cancelled. The only thing I
>have to worry about is whether I should buy some Imp Bombers, or save up
for a
>Titan, or perhaps wait and see if GW puts out a campaign pack from Epic (I
>think that would be a good idea, think of the sheer amount of terrain they
>could fit in it, or not, and make it less expensive then the other campaign
>packs). Oh, and work some more on my Campaign rules and getting my friends
>play.
-------> They could definitely put out an expansion pack. But if the game
isn't selling that well, it would be a foolish move. And if the major
component was terrain, well, there's a lot of people who are "terrain snobs"
and won't use the cardboard fold-ups typical of their other products - not
me in most cases, but they are pretty common. For Epic, their terrain has
been mostly buildings, and pretty well done. Official campaign rules and the
cards etc from WD would be a good thing to have in an expansion set, but I
think it will be quite a while before we see one.

-------> Is that including the boxed set and the various Dwarfs, if any?

---------> Hey - I like that last part. Same here.