[Epic] Pro-GW Speech (Fishing for free stuff from GW)

From: Tyler Provick <bprovick_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 13:14:41 -0400

> Unfortunately as far as GW are conccerned their only "Core" games are WH40K
> and WHFB. These are the only games you won't see messed around with or
> discontinued.

Unlike any other GW game Epic 40K seems to be a "buy the box, then buy
miniatures for your army" as opposed to "buy the game, buy the expansion pack,
buy some new miniatures that we just made rules for, buy a campaign pack, buy
some card terrain, buy the miniatures for your army, buy your army book."

If you notice that most of the articles in WD are around selling something.
With Epic 40K there is not that much to sell. They've sold the game, and every
time they put out a new army they have a huge clump of articles. Since GW is
trying to put out all the miniatures for an army at the same time, we don't see
anything like what we got with the WHFB Daemon Princes and Greater Daemon of
Khorn.

Now, I realize this article was actually about the cancellation of the game,
but I seriously doubt a big company like GW, who I hear is having a very
profitable quarter, would cancel a game so quickly. I mean, they can afford to
let a game not make much profit for as long as they think it will take for it
to become extremely popular.

As for the length of waiting for the new armies to come out. I've never tried
to sculpt for that scale, but I assume it is hard. Plus, look at the big things
that have come out recently. Greater Daemon and the Night Spinner. Plus
modeling new Blood bowl teams.

I think GW is very busy, and are working slowly but surely on the Chaos Marine
releases. I'm not very worried about Epic being cancelled. The only thing I
have to worry about is whether I should buy some Imp Bombers, or save up for a
Titan, or perhaps wait and see if GW puts out a campaign pack from Epic (I
think that would be a good idea, think of the sheer amount of terrain they
could fit in it, or not, and make it less expensive then the other campaign
packs). Oh, and work some more on my Campaign rules and getting my friends to
play.

There's more I can say for GW, but instead I'll plug this page. It makes some
sense. Not that I won't still bitch at GW.

http://users.net66.com/~ddburger/gwrant.html

Check it out

One more thing, GW expensive? Maybe. I did amass a 2000pt army for $150
Canadian.

Tyler
Not a rant, not upset, not angry, not flaming, not better then you, not more
right then you, not smarter then you, not more or less anything then you, just
expressing some views