Re: [Epic] Pro-GW Speech (Fishing for free stuff from GW)

From: Stephen Sheldon <stephes_at_...>
Date: Tue, 14 Apr 1998 11:58:57 -0700 (PDT)

> >Unlike any other GW game Epic 40K seems to be a "buy the box, then buy
> >miniatures for your army" as opposed to "buy the game, buy the expansion
> pack,
> >buy some new miniatures that we just made rules for, buy a campaign pack,
> buy
> >some card terrain, buy the miniatures for your army, buy your army book."
>
> ---------> Oh they've done this type of game before. Then they've been
> cancelled in 2 years or less - other than the Epic 2nd ed, that is. (Man O
> War, Blood Bowl, Space Fleet, Dark Future, Mighty Empires)

Epic 2nd had all of the army boxes. Man oo war had 2 expansion boxes, BB
had an expansion box, Space fleet was a concept game and to really enjoy
it you had to buy about 8 WDs, Dark Future had white line fever, and
Mighty Empires had a lot of WD expansion, but I am not sure if it had an
expansion set.

> -------> You'd think they'd at least try to sell the main game. Putting in
> some of the old-style Battle Reports couldn't hurt.

I agree

> -----> I don't know that I'd call them "big", but for a game company I guess
> they are. What you suggest is what we all hope will happen, but they don't
> have a very good track record.

They listen to the numbers of sales, not the gamers, a consequence of
being big. They just cannot keep up with everyones demands. But still, you
would think that they would hear the cries of their stuff costing too
much...

> -------> thay haven't made ne wBlllod bowl teams - they're just rissuing the
> old ones, just like the game itself.
> And as for the Greater Daemons - Ack, don't get me started.

The princes and the Tzeentch daemon are nice, the others....

> -------> They could definitely put out an expansion pack. But if the game
> isn't selling that well, it would be a foolish move. And if the major
> component was terrain, well, there's a lot of people who are "terrain snobs"
> and won't use the cardboard fold-ups typical of their other products - not
> me in most cases, but they are pretty common. For Epic, their terrain has
> been mostly buildings, and pretty well done. Official campaign rules and the
> cards etc from WD would be a good thing to have in an expansion set, but I
> think it will be quite a while before we see one.

I think a campaign pack would be a nice addition.

Steve

When you dream there are no rules, people can fly, anything can happen.
Sometimes, there's a moment as you're waking, that you become aware of
the real world around you, but you're still dreaming.
You may think you can fly, but you better not try it...