RE: [Epic] Tyranid Titans

From: Miller, Chris <CMiller_at_...>
Date: Thu, 23 Apr 1998 08:21:55 -0500

> > I play Tyranids, but I have a problem with my titans. The
> problem
> >is vortex missiles. Either in deathstrikes or on imperial titans (I
> >play against imperials a lot) they can often kill a hierodule in a
> >single shot, and two of them a can take down a hierophant. As my
> >titans
> >have no shields, every one that hits inflicts d6 death rays complete
> >with auto-criticals. In SM/TL Tyranid titans were probobly the best
> >in
> >the game, cheap and able to kill any equivalent titan. Now that Im
> >in
> >e40K, they're more balanced, but keep getting killed by vortex
> >missile
> >on turn 1! I realise my titans are cheap, but they cost more than a
> >deathstrike. How can I stop them?
>
> I was going to say "mycetic spores" but I've just realized that they
> couldn't come on the turn 1.
> Deathstrikes have the "artillery" ability? If not then hide your
> titans
> behinds buildings.
> An other way is to stop taking war engines/creatures for two or three
> battles, your opponent will have no need to use his deathstrikes
> anymore
> and you will be able to surprise him during the following battle by
> deploying your titans. Of course, this will only works once...

--------> Deathstrikes do not have the artillery ability, so you can try
to hide the big guys - use lots of terrain and big buildings. Try some
of the 40K scale trees ("They grow really big trees on this planet") and
work in the buildings from TL which should be enough to give at least a
few hiding places.
   You can use the mycetic spore suggestion above, it's just that the
trick is to prevent your titans from getting nuked on the first turn. If
you fight with them charging across an opem desert plain, they're going
to die.
   Of course, if you _can_ talk the imperial player into using the AT
rule for vortexes, wellm then, it's a lot less of a problem...

Chris Miller