Re: [Epic] Titan Legion rules vs. Epic 40k

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 00:03:28 +1000

Thane Morgan wrote:

> SM/TL were pretty much the same game; TL was mostly an update and clarification set.
> E40K has nothing to do with SM/TL, outside of scale and background.

Concur.

> I prefered SM/TL.

Fair enough, I hold a different opinion.

> It demanded more of the players, but the extra demands enriched the
> game, instead of burdening it.

No comment.

> You had to worry about the facing of each unit,
> whether each could see the enemy. Each fired individually. Orders had to be given
> before initiative was determined, and before you knew what the enemy was doing.

Agree, a fair summation.

> Some people hate the charts, but everyone I knew who played at least two times a
> month quickly had them memorized. You still have to look at charts, and smaller
> charts don't make much of a difference.

Also agree. With a few negligible exceptions, such as the Madboyz table,
the Weirdboy table, you're spot on.

> I like the new titan rules better. I hate the new CC system; you roll just as many
> times and it takes longer, plus being largely unpredicatable in nature. The new flyer
> system is better, though still pretty dumb.

No comment again.

> The tactics in the old version seemed
> superior, as the units were more free to move, the weapons were more specialized, and
> the objectives encouraged more manuever and sacrafice.

Now this I disagree on: To a large extent, SM2 was about fire and
manouver. This worked pretty well in the large, interlocking fields of
fire and positioning of units were modelled to give a good game. But the
tactical richness when you got close, the use of reserves and
outflanking forces, encirclement etc were just not modelled.

> Unless you have a large contingent of SM/TL players already, I wouldn't bother
> learning the old rules. You wont be able to recruit new players to the old rules,
> since they wont be able to buy the old rules and half of the miniatures are no longer
> available.

But NetEpic is available, so all is not lost.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo