Re: [Epic] Ravenwing Origin

From: Mike Looney - ionet <mlooney_at_...>
Date: Wed, 06 May 1998 09:41:11 -0500

Elaine P wrote:

> Okay, the fluff queen is on a quest to find out if there has ever been
>
> anything written about the origin of the Ravenwing. The reason I ask
> is
> that I was able to purchase some old issues of WD this weekend & in
> issue 129 is a picture of tactical marines of the 2nd Co.
>
> The armor is dark green, so it is post-heresy. One could deduce that
> the 2nd Co. changed from the black armor after heresy with the rest of
>
> the chapter, & that sometime after the Deathwing was honored with the
> white armor, some event or decision occurred to have the 2nd Co.
> become
> the specialized unit it is today.
>
> Does anyone recall a campaign, mission, or date when the 2nd Co.
> became
> the Ravenwing?

There are 2 chunks of fluff that conflict on this issue.

WD 126 has legion specifice rules for AT/SM 1st ed, to include the Dark
Angels Ravenwing (not that this is DURING the heresy rules). The
Deathwing, the Ravenwing and the Ironwing (tanks) were the 3 companies
of the 1st battalion of any DA regiment. They minor amount of fluff
given about them was they were "from the traditions of the home world"
or words to that effect. What ever (E40K version can be found at
http://www.spellbooksoftware.com/e41K/detachments/imperial/Legion-E30K.html#Dark
Angels ) Note that the Ravenwing is 3rd, not 2nd company).

Codex: Angels of Death has fluff about the Ravenwing being formed to
hunt down "Fallen Angels"

Note also that the fluff is variable as to the actions of the Dark
Angels as a whole during the heresy, some, like the Codex has the
majority of the chapter fighting on the side of the loyalists, with only
the stay behind part becoming converted to chaos, while others state
that "The records show no mention of the Dark Angels during the Horus
Heresy"

--
Sillyness is the last refuse of the doomed.  P. Opus