RE: [Epic] Titan Legion rules vs. Epic 40k

From: Steve Wik <bosco_at_...>
Date: Wed, 6 May 1998 11:23:59 -0700

>It IS possible to vote with your feet and send a message to GW
that >they will hear.
>(The theory being if E40K doesn't sell - and I will certainly
never buy it -
>they will wonder why...)

Y'know, if everyone had taken that attitude way back when, you guys
would still be playing FIRST EDITION Space Marine now... (eeeew!)

E40k is cool. Having to shoot and work out damage on a model-by-model
basis and choose your army based on what models cancel out your
opponent's choices is exactly what I don't like about Warhammer 40k.
The focus on detachments is what makes E40k strategic and "realistic"
for me. Nothing against the older versions, I'm sure they're great fun,
but E40k is the one that gives me what I'm looking for in terms of
(reasonably) easy playability and a truer sense of what it's like to
command large armies.

 I have to admit though, that I like the way Imperators and Mega
Gargants worked in TL, an appropriately clumsy and complicated method
for moving and shooting with such large war machines. I also like a few
of the old special rules for things like 'nid spore mines and harpoon
cannons and stuff, but overall, the few things that I like from the
previous version can easily be transplanted into the new one. Then
things like the E41k project also help put back much of the
individualistic feel of the various model types, so it's sort of hard to
complain about the new "genericizing" of troops and vehicles.

Having said all this, I'm sure that the next time GW revamps the rules
I'll be one of the "old guys" complaining about the new system... :))

Steve (the other)
P.S.: I still prefer the first edition Space Hulk rules...