Re: [Epic] Taking the "Generic" out of Your Daemon Engines in Epic 40K!

From: Scott Shupe <shupes_at_...>
Date: Thu, 07 May 1998 13:12:16 -0400

Richard Desnoyers wrote:

> In much the same way as the numerous and varied Ork Battlewagons of SM
> were lumped together into one generic line of statistics in E40K, Chaos
> Daemon Engines suffered the same fate. What I'm proposing here is similar
> to the work done for the Ork Battlewagons over at the E41K Project.

> The following ideas/unit abilities are borrowed directly from SM 2nd Ed.
> rules. Anyone familiar with this system should know where I'm coming from.
> WYSIWYG also plays a role in the genesis of some of these ideas, and is
> specific to the miniature in question.
>
> * IMHO - sufficently taken care of by the E40K rule system, but it's not
> written in stone either, or maybe I just haven't thought of anything yet :)
>
> KHORNE Daemon Engines:
> In looking at some of these vehicles I'm wondering if the "Close Support"
> ability would suit it better then "Rampage," - i.e. Cauldron of Blood.

        I see the Rampage thing as represenative of (a) the
vehicles' obnoxious CAFs, (b) the Khorne bonus rule (where the
daemon engines got a plus to everything if you were winning) or
(c) the spirit of the 'advance or charge only' rule. Although
I guess the random Assault Factor is there in place of (b).

> 1. Bloodreaper: *
> 2. Brass Scorpion: *
> 3. Cauldron of Blood: *
> 4. Death Dealer: add - transport 5 troop stands [new point cost:(from 26)>??]
> 5. Doomblaster: *
> 6. Tower of Skulls: *

        Well, the Tower and Blood Reaper are NOT the same thing
as, say, the Death Dealer and Brass Scorpian. I would start
with a basic statline, and then allow upgrades for the 'shooty'
types (Tower and Bloodreaper, which were pretty much the same
anyway), close support type (Cauldron), and 2 varieties of pure
assault engine (Death Dealer - higher CAF + transport, Scorpian -
higher CAF + the e41k "Dozer" ability). And perhaps a barrage
(not heavy barrage) variety for the Doom Blaster, which was quite
weak and should be seperated from the Cannons of Khorne.

> NURGLE Daemon Engines:
> 1. Contagion: In addition to the Plague Catapult, a Contagion sports
> a "Vomit Cannon" to protect itself at close range.
> ?(V.C. - Range: 15 cm, FP: 1 or 2)?
> [new point cost with the V.C.: (from 31)>??]

        Hmmm... I just realized that there's no non-WE unit that
has more than one weapon type. I guess it would make the points
harder to figure out... Certainly the unofficial point formula
that's been posted around here doesn't work in this case. Perhaps
for simplicity's sake the cannon should just be forgotten, or you
could increase the Contagion's Assault to take into account it
firing at incoming attackers.

> SLANNESH Daemon Engines:
> All Slannesh Daemon Engines have the "Glamour of Slannesh."
> ?(add +1 to armour rating, or a "Save" instead. I prefer a "Save" myself)?

        An armor increase is truer to the original rules. The Save
is easier to price. *shrug*

> 1. Hell-Knight: "Infiltrator" ability [page 37, E40K Rule Book]
> [new cost with this ability:(from 29)>??]
> 2. Hell-Scourge: *
> 3. Hell-Strider: *

        The Striders are not anything like the Scourges or the
Knights. They were smaller, slower, more fragile and packing less
firepower than their larger cousins. Perhaps they would look
something like:

                                FIRE
TROOP TYPE SPEED RANGE POWER ASSAULT ARMOR NOTES
Hell-Strider 20cm 30cm 2 2 4+

Cost would be about 13-14 points. Then maybe you could add the
Glamour in on top of that.

        Let us know if you ever get that Chaos website up!

Scott Shupe
shupes_at_... shupes@... http://www.rpi.edu/~shupes
"You can't throw me to the lions! I'm Charlton Heston!" - Lard