Re: [Epic] Detailed Daemon Engines.

From: tzeench <tzeench_at_...>
Date: Fri, 15 May 1998 17:33:24 -0700

> Shouldn't that be Tzeentch?

I wouldn't dare take the true name

> I thought about this but eventually decided that it wasn't
> worth it. Towers move a whopping 20cm a turn, generally need to
> advance into enemy territory in order to use the boarding maneuver,
> and will get torn apart by AT and DR shots. Or even by straight FP.
> It is no longer survivable enough to function in this capacity, IMO.

Totally agree.

> One idea I was toying with was giving a 4+ 'daemonic aura'
> save to the LoB and Plague Tower, to represent the chaos-card-
> sacrifice thing from SM/TL - this would likely result in a large
> point-cost increase though, and would take some playtesting to get
> right.

a neat idea. Like the dominatrix. I also wouldn't have any idea how much
this would cost, but it would be a lot (again like the dominatrix).

> The Slaanesh knights are another SM/TL unit that changed
> a lot between versions. The E40k version is better at shooting
> but is less durable. The problem with ramping down all the ranges
> to match with the SM/TL stats is that eventually you'll have
> almost no non-marine units that can shoot farther than 30cm... I
> don't know, I just don't like the idea.

True, but in SM how many chaos unit could shoot over 50cm. only the titans
and marine vechiles. (thinking off the top of my head.)

         The old Knight 'directional power field' was the shield that,
> if an attack passed through it, the save mod of the attack was ignored.
> The old Galmour just made attacks on the target at -1 to hit, and it
> was not effective against template weapons (kinda eldar-ish, actually,
> which is fairly appropriate for Slaanesh). A bit of a difference
> there - harder to hit as opposed to more durable. Still, I suppose
> that Save could cover either case.

The directional power field also only protected from the front. This made
them perfect targets to outflank. I also thought that you could instead
give the slaanesh daemon engines 6+ armour instead. They did have a better
armour value in SM (2+, as good as it can get for non superheavies).

> The Subjugator has more problems than just that - for one
> thing, it's horribly overpriced.

Totally agree. There is only two things I liked about them, the model and
thier name. I really hate the other titans name (Questor). Sounds so
cheesy. I traded mine away at barter town.

> > Finally, one last thing. No one has has said anything about the Silver
> > Towers. For me this is another flavour enhancer.
> > Silver Towers:
> > "Magical Warding" exists between two towers within 10 cm's of each
other,
> > anything targeted (by an AT shot for example) through this field will
> > receive a +1 armour bonus up to a maximum of 6 (or a "Save)." Once
again,
> > I think that I prefer the idea of a "Save".
>
> Too much. Imagine a string of silver towers in front of the
> main force of an enemy army, with backup units ready to pick up the
> warding should you shoot out one or two towers.

I again agree. It really isn't worth it making up rules like that. Then
you would have to make all the other units that had special rules up. I
think it is best to stick to the existing options to upgrade units. What I
don't like is when they summerize 6 ( aspect warriors and khorne daemon
engines) or 10+ (ork battle wagons) units into one stat line. I do like
how easy it is to fix. (in most cases).

> Heck, imagine say 4 towers sitting in front of a bunch of LRs
> on OW and titan(s) with 60cm DRs (to pick off any units in range of
> the towers and out of range of the LRs).
>
> > Did anyone ever use this when playing SM? Was it of any real use?

Not at all. read below.

> Yes. No. The warding only existed between towers in the
> same detachment, and they came in detachments of 2. Opponent would
> kill one tower in a pair, dropping the warding and gaining 4 (!!!)
> VPs. The towers are hard to hide as well, as they are on flying
> bases.
>
> > Someone could place their H.Q. unit behind this field for added
protection.
> > {If I ever get a hold of a scanner I could e-mail people a *.gif or
*.jpg
> > of the Magical Warding Template if they wanted it.)
>
> It's just a 10cm long rectangle.

Do not ask which creature screams in the night,
Do not question who waits for you in the shadow.
It is my cry that wakes you in the night,
And my body that crouches in the shadow.
I am Tzeench and you are the puppet
That dances to my tune

tzeench_at_...