Re: [Epic] Genestealer Cults in E41K

From: Aaron Day <akkala_at_...>
Date: Tue, 26 May 1998 13:45:48 -0500

Tom Sullivan wrote:

> I'm a little weak on my Tyranid fluff (hmmmm...fluffy
> Tyrnaids...War against the Chtorr, anyone?), but I think that I can see
> a way to justify this. Imagine being a kid on some little backwater
> world, the kind of place that makes Tatooine look sophisticated. Now,
> here you are growing up with three arms, BIG teeth, and a thirst for
> human blood. Being an ignorant, uneducated sort of hick, you leap to
> the only conclusion that your limited experience allows you: "My Gawd!
> I must have been infected by that Kay-os stuff! Cool! I bet you
> Cindy-Lou will go out with me now!" Not fully understanding what is
> happening, more and more Genestealer infected people turn to Chaos
> Worship as an answer. And the Blood God, being a Blood God, is not
> going to say "no" to anyone as good at mayhem as a bunch of
> Genestealers. Thus, the cults turn to Chaos out of ignorance, rather
> than from a desire for more power. And of course, the Patriarch is not
> going to object to anything that helps to spred chaos and fear among the
> populace. Indeed, the Chaos Cults may well provide a distraction from
> what's REALLY going on.... Of course, when the Hive Fleet shows up, all
> bets are off.

The reason it is a "cult" is that those infected/impregnated by
Genestealers are obsessed with protecting their offspring, following the
hive mind and worshipping the Patriarch as a god. Their loyalty to the
Patriarch would override any other loyalties, thus preventing them from
worshipping or gaining powers from the Chaos gods. A GS cult is composed
of the 'stealers and hybrids (the children) and the brood brother (the
parents).

It would be conceivable for a GS cult to ally with a chaos cult in order
to help weaken the defences of the humans but that could be taken into
account by letting a GS cult army to ally with/include chaos cult
detachments (chaos SM would be to smart for that)

> And, you know, I can see a GS Cult hiring themselves out as
> mercenaries...spreading the infection from world to world, helping to
> increase the discontent and confusion within the Empire.... Hey, it's a
> thought.

Again, their loyalty is to the Hive mind, not money. They spread
covertly, not overtly. The tyrannids are the overt ones.