Re: [Epic] Warlord Battlegroups

From: Aaron P Teske <Mithramuse+_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 11:20:47 -0500 (EST)

Excerpts from Epic: 28-Feb-97 [Epic] Warlord Battlegroups by Spatula_at_...
> OK guys, I have a question for you all: how would you arm a long-range
> Warlord Battlegroup? I want to put one together as I have a bunch of
> titan weapons and a few Warlord sprues laying around, BUT I hardly ever
> use titans myself and when I have to face off against them they are
> almost always armed with short/medium ranged stuff. What I'm really
> looking for is 3 titans each with some individuality (ie, I don't want
> 3 titans armed with the same exact weapons) that are able to support
> each other reasonably well. Ideas?

Sure thing... though it also depends on what kind of army you're
expecting to face off against. (Ie, infantry army, tank army, other
Titans....)

First off, the "Guardian" of the group... this guy'll help protect your
other Titans from masses of infantry that try to get too close... of
course, he's best at protecting himself! This guy should go in the
middle of the Titan group, and a bit ahead of the other two; or else he
should keep in between the other Titans and infantry/whatever.

Protector: 1 Plasma Destructor(/Cannon), 2x Vulcan Mega-Bolter, 1 Melta-Cannon.
  (Alternately, put on a Fire Control Tower for one of the VMBs.)

Second, you might take a Barrage Titan; this one's not really a *great*
Titan loadout but can come in handy. (This one I actually do expect to
be quite useful in Epic40K, actually.)

Trebuchet: 3x Multiple Rocket Launchers, Carapace Landing Pad.
  (Alternately, put in another MRL instead of the pad, or a one-shot
Barrage Missile. You might note that I really don't like the one-shots
that much....)

Third, the anti-tank/anti-Titan platform, which can also serve admirably
as a long-range anti-infantry platform. This is a much more flexible
class, depending on what you want to do.... Archer is good at killing
infantry and stripping void shields, while Dyrnwyn is very much an
anti-Titan/SHV platform.

Archer: 2x Gatling Blaster, 1 Volcano Cannon, 1 Fire Control Center.

Dyrnwyn: 2x Volcano Cannon, 1 Gatling Blaster, 1 Warp Missile.
  (Alternate: swap in a FCC for the Warp Missile -- I ran out when
designing my legion, which is partially why the Warp Missile is there.
The other part of the reason resides in Dyrnwyn's story....)

As a final option, if you're going to be playing in heavy city terrain
you might consider Earthshaker:

Earthshaker: 2x Quake Cannon, FCC, Barrage Missile, Deathstrike Head.

Of course, you can put Deathstrike Heads (and Carapace Multi-Lasers) on
any & all of the Titans; LR battlegroups shouldn't have to move around
much. I just don't like the way the Titans look with Deathstrike
Heads... not to mention, the centerline mounts are a bit of a pain.

Good luck, and let me know what happens! ^_^

                    Aaron Teske
                    Mithramuse+_at_...