[Epic] Hairy Questions Answered Here

From: Richard Levick <rlevick_at_...>
Date: Sun, 28 Jun 1998 00:00:15 +1200

OK Team,
I've been wargaming for 18 years now and I've heard most of these questions
pop up before (or something similar) so here's what I think. Don't take it
as correct, just think of it as an experienced wargamer's point of view. I
tend to look at things as logically as possible when gaming, so...

On the subject of Scales: 25mm, 15mm, 6mm, and other scales are actually
modeling scales. When someone models a figure they use a scale to get
dimensions correct. 25mm is actually worked as "six feet to the inch" or
six feet (real size) equals one inch (model). GW started in 25mm scale
with WH40K but their modeling crew gradually increased the size to around
28-32mm because the figures could hold more detail and there were no
vehicles to worry about. 6mm is a relatively new term for 1/300th which is
the size of most micro armor available in Britain. The scale is 1 foot
(real) equals 1mm (model) and this had to be used in order to produce
accurate models of World War II and Modern tanks and vehicles. The
Americans make their micro armor to 1/285th scale, possibly for the same
reasons as GW, more detail.
Either way the average scale, whether it's 6mm, 1/300th, 15mm, or 25mm is
usually based around the average 6 foot soldier.

On the subject of Thunderhawks: Now the way I see it you can only use them
for a one way trip, but I use my dozen Thunderhawks in the same way as my
helicopters when I play Modern. Most games I've played allow you to either
embark troops or disembark troops, but usually not both in the same turn.
This has usually applied to personnel carriers too. So as far as their use
in Epic goes, I think it would not be fair to swoop in pick up troops from
one area and zip across the table to drop them off before leaving. But by
all means, you should be able to zoom in and extract troops. I haven't
seen any evac rules, but I've been flying Thunderhawks around our tables
for years and no one has complained when I do an extraction from an LZ.

On the subject of flak: Whirlwinds and Marine support weapons are allowed
to be designated as Flak. Now with the Whirlwind the basic logic is you
are replacing all the standard high explosive rockets with heat seeking or
radar homing anti-aircraft missiles and thus you cannot shoot at ground
targets with them. You lose the barrage and get Flak instead. The Support
weapons are a little vague here but that was the ruling in WD. Any other
unit designated as Flak can and should be able to fire at ground targets
although they need no special orders. They just count as any other unit
adding the firepower. I used to use lots of German Flakwagons in my World
War II army. They were half-tracks with four 20mm cannon mounted on the
back and were pretty good against aircraft, but deadly against ground
targets, especially infantry and unarmoured vehicles like trucks. I was
most ticked off with Hydras in Titan Legions because they were the only
Flak unit that couldn't shoot ground targets. Now they can, it's better,
but their range sucks.
Their Special orders can be explained like this: imagine what the crews are
doing. If you give them Special orders to be used as Flak, their crews
will be scanning the skies watching for enemy aircraft. If you don't
they'll be watching the ground battle for anything that comes close enough
to shoot at. Simple, huh?!
Now some would argue that any unit should be able to shoot at aircraft. I
know I did. But logically, most tanks weapons are of limited traverse and
elevation. Turrets that spin 360 degrees don't do it fast enough to track
an aircraft zipping across the battlefield. The dedicated Flak units are
designed to do this and this is why they are the only unit able to do so.
Infantry can shoot at aircraft, but their weaponry is usually to inaccurate
to actually hit, so that's why they're out of the picture as flak.

On the subject of Dune: Did I change mailing lists sometime without
realizing??

On the subject of Titan Legions: Andy Skinner was trying to decide on
whether or not to keep his TL gear or not. DON'T SELL. You still got a
working game there, so why get rid of it. Don't look at E40K as 3rd
edition. Look at it as a new game that just uses your existing models.
Both game are quite different and something worth trying is have a TL game
sometime and the a re-fight using the same forces under E40K.

Well, that's the answers according to me. I hope it clears a few points or
niggly doubts. I've contacted the Roolzboyz over some points before and
they've told some contradicting answers on more than one occasion, but the
one thing they stress is that "IT AINT LEGAL UNLESS IT APPEARS IN WHITE
DWARF." Of course, this is when they could actually GIVE me an answer.

Rick Levick
Wargamer of Epic40K, WH40K, WW2, Modern, WW2 Naval, WW1 Aerial, and many
more...