Re: [Epic] Epic40K stats/Pre-sale

From: A. Allen McCarley <allen_at_...>
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 1997 15:40:27 -0600

> At Gettysburg, the combined casualties from both sides totalled 50,000.
> 15,000 Confederate troops died in the final march to the Union position.
> And the First Battle of Bull Run saw 4,700 casualties in just a few hours.
> Makes my Swarm look pretty insignificant. Hell, I could have killed off a
> Marine Chapter four times over. This, in the war-torn future of a dark
> millenium that knows only war. Bah.

And in later wars, the body count only got higher.

> According to the background, each Space Marine Chapter can field a thousand
> men, and then more in times of war. So let's be generous, say it bolsters
> to ten thousand men. There are a thousand Chapters of the Adeptus
> Astartes. Ten million Space Marines as the elite of a galaxy-spanning
> Imperium, an Imperium which has hive worlds supporting over 200 billion
> people.

This has been my major complaint against the SM background fluff since
I got into the game. A thousand men per chapter? Responsible for
the defense of entire chunks of the Imperium? A thuosand men would
be little more than a footnote in any war between two small nations.
In an interstellar conflict it's doubtful that they would even be
noticed by the enemy.

-Allen McCarley (The seemingly deactivated EPIC Q&A guy)