Re: [Epic] Ork Warband Size Question

From: Elaine P <elainepat_at_...>
Date: Mon, 29 Jun 1998 08:22:10 PDT

Carl Billen wrote:

>What is the average size for an all-infantry Ork Warband (expreseed in
>stands) ?

I rarely field all-infantry detachments. I include at least some battle
wagons and/or buggies to handle contigencies such as denying objectives
& terrain to the enemy as the infantry approaches & giving the
detachment a little more fire power with a longer range.

That said. I usually try to keep a mostly infantry detachment between
300 & 450 points depending on the point size of the game. I typically
include 2 Kults of Speed at around 200 points and 1 Evil Sunz detachment
(mechanized infantry) where all units have transport. I then build at
least 2 detachments out of the remaining points, more if possible. I
then make at least one detachment a "shooty" detachment, one that has
shooty boyz & lots of artillery. The others I tend to make into assault
detachments which will include the army's skarboyz & stormboyz. I kind
of use a perverted command & control rule of thumb where I use 1 stand
of nobz for every 3 or 4 stands of boyz, stormboyz, skarboyz, etc. I
try to include 1 battle wagon for every stand of nobz.

Looking at number of stands, my "average" (if there is any such thing
among orks) warband looks something like this for an assault oriented
detachment:

1 Warboss w/Battlewagon
1 Weirdboy in Battletower
3 stands of Nobz
3 stands Stormboyz or Skarboyz
12 stands of Boyz
3 Battlewagons
4 Big Gunz
1 Stompa

I think that this works out to around 396 points. (I don't have my books
with me.) This would be about the largest detachment I would take & I
would tweak the number of Boyz stands & support items until I get the
flavor that want. The green tide doesn't work if the bulk of the
infantry is in one detachment tied down by blast markers. So I would
rather field 3 300 point detachments rather than 2 450 point detachments
as an example.

Hope this helps.

-- Elaine