Re: [Epic] A Thunderhawk question...

From: Richard Levick <rlevick_at_...>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 11:53:44 +1200

> From: Dirk Vormann <DVormann_at_...-duisburg.de>
> To: space-marine_at_...
> Subject: Re: [Epic] A thunderhawk question...
> Date: Monday, 29 June 1998 22:25
>
> The flyer rules do not allow flyers to embark infantry. In WD ??? an evac
> mission was published but then noone can disembark.

Well, an interesting theory, Dirk. The way I see it, GW in their usual
simplistic fashion, have not anticipated that once you drop troops onto the
battlefield, you're not going to want to rescue them if they get in
trouble. I read the rules thoroughly and only Rule 5 comes close but it is
still not really definitive. The rules for Thunderhawks in TL state that
you can load and unload troops, so I can't see why you can't do it under
E40K.

>> Are units with the flak ability allowed to fire on ground units.
> The flak description in the rulebook does not disallow it so it should be
allowed.

Now under this line of reasoning, you sort of contradict yourself on the
flyer question. You've got to be very careful when arguing rulings
(especially from GW) that you don't use the old "it doesn't say you
can't!" line too often.
The flyer rules clearly state what flak unit do when flyer missions are
declared - but what if there are no missions?? In that case the flak
receives a regular order (whatever you like) like other units and can shoot
at regular ground targets.