Re: [Epic] DUNE

From: Francois Bruntz <fbruntz_at_...>
Date: Wed, 01 Jul 1998 08:36:52 PDT

Thane a �crit :

>> Why in power armor? I don't remember anything about this in the >>
books?

>The sardaukar in the movies had the best armor, but I'm not sure if
>that
>strictly follows the book.

I don't think so. The movie was not a very good adaptation of the book
even if it wasn't bad.

> The fremen had no armor to speak of. The
>Atreides shields would be like armor 5 or 6, though nuking the
>battlefield
>with a laser would be bad.

Atreides were not the only one to use shields, all the other Houses used
them. But as you wrote it, a laser and a shield is a bad mix...
I think that an Epic army for Dune shouldn't use long range weapons as
the most fights were close combats.
Perhaps a rule could state that the player may choose to use the shields
of a detachment (giving an armor bonus of +1) risking to see it
destroyed by a laser shot.

> I don't remember the harkonnen using them. There
>weren't many lasers available, fortunately, due to the ban on
>computers to
>control them. A dune modification would be hand to hand heavy.

I agree.

>Sardaukar and Fremen would be CC 5 or 6 . Fremen should have
>infiltration
>(that will get nasty!) but with armor 3.

3 is too low I think. They are great warriors, a 4+ or even a 5+ should
be better I think.

>Both should be stubborn.

I agree.

>The
>harkonen regulars would have CC: 2, armor 4.

I don't agree, standard IG stats should be better. In the books, many
references point out their bad quality as soldiers.

Francois Bruntz
Apprenti MIAGE (Universite Paris XII - IBM France)

               LORDinateur's Home Page
              Space Marine and Epic 40k
                Last Update : 06/17/98

  http://www.geocities.com/TimesSquare/Dungeon/2370/