Re: [Epic] DUNE

From: Matthew Sprange <altsain_at_...>
Date: Wed, 1 Jul 1998 17:13:40 +0100

>Atreides were not the only one to use shields, all the other Houses used
>them. But as you wrote it, a laser and a shield is a bad mix...
>I think that an Epic army for Dune shouldn't use long range weapons as
>the most fights were close combats.
>Perhaps a rule could state that the player may choose to use the shields
>of a detachment (giving an armor bonus of +1) risking to see it
>destroyed by a laser shot.

I think the shields were a little stronger than that. Perhaps even stronger
than giving them a Save ability. From the way they were protrayed, how
about immune to absolutely everything, except those guns which fire slowly,
VERY skilled hand-to-hand and lasers? Beginning to get the feeling that
rules may get stretched here ;)

>>control them. A dune modification would be hand to hand heavy.
>
>I agree.

And so perhaps better suited to WH40k? Perhaps I ought to get ready to duck
after that one.

>>Sardaukar and Fremen would be CC 5 or 6 . Fremen should have
>>infiltration
>>(that will get nasty!) but with armor 3.
>
>3 is too low I think. They are great warriors, a 4+ or even a 5+ should
>be better I think.

The Sardaukar were supposed to be the best warriors in the galaxy, but the
Fremen chewed them up - a bigger differential may be needed here.

Matthew