Re: [Epic] Heroic actions

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 1998 20:50:29 +1000

Francois Bruntz wrote:

> >Example:
> >IMMEDIATELY BEFORE THE CLOSE COMBAT PHASE:
> >"The Leader heroicly throws himself under an enemy vehicle, clutching
> >some Krack grenades, and...."
> >1-2 ..mistimes it, and gets Squashed by the treads
> >3-4 ..the grenades detonate, but don't pierce the armour.
> >5-6 .. lands them on the engine grates. The enemy vehicle explodes!
> >(One
> >enemy vehicle in contact with the stand takes a hit, Hero's owners'
> >choice which one)
> >

> This could be very interesting as it would give some special "taste" to
> the Epic SM captains, Big Bosses, etc...
> I would restrict these rules to infantry command units with hero(as I
> don't want to see any Ork Nob or Imperial Knight doing this kind of
> actions).
>
> But I must say that I don't really understand how all this works, could
> you give us an example to illustrate these rules (I mean when do you try
> the heroic action, how do you decide the target and the effects of the
> attack, etc...)? Merci.
>
> Francois Bruntz

Bonjour, Francois. (Anyone else old enough to remember that old BBC
French course? No? Oh well...)

These rules were adapted from the rules in SM1. Which had Heroic Actions
as possibilities for Command Units.

To expand on the example above:

This would be possible when
* The Hero is in base contact with an enemy vehicle.

and happens
* As soon as the enemy vehicle gets in contact with the Hero, in any
phase.

There is a limit of 1 heroic action per Hero per turn. Depending on
playtesting, it may be wise to restrict it to units which are both Heros
and Commanding the detachment, not other Heros (eg Nobz whose Warboss is
still around). It may even be wise to restrict it to only SMs and CSMs
during the Horus Heresy, as the massive casualty rates amongst Heros
doing this meant that Evolution caused all successors to be less
"Heroic".

Other possibilities:

1)
The Hero leaps from Cover, and crying "Follow Me!"....

1-2 Is unceremoniously shot by an enemy sniper
3-4 Is immediately forced to take cover by a hail of enemy fire
5-6 Inspires his troops so they get to move an additional 10cm in the
Assault phase.

Preconditions:
None

When:
At the beginning of the Assault phase.

2)
Screaming a Battle Cry, The Hero charges amongst the enemy, and

1-2 Is cut down by a swift burst of gunfire
3-4 Is repulsed by the enemy's firepower
5-6 Throws the enemy into confusion so they take an additional Blast
Marker

Preconditions:
Hero is in base-to-base contact with the enemy

When:
Immediately he comes into contact with an enemy unit.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo