Re: [Epic] 0 firepower

From: Greg Lane <greg_at_...>
Date: Sat, 29 Aug 1998 21:05:29 -0500

There is no official errata to this effect. Jervis has said that they
understand the problem and their method is to use the rules as written ...
however he stated that folks might want to have a 'house rule' to give all
units 1 FP in Firefights. This issue is especially important when the
"How many times thier FP do you have?" question is addressed. That old
dividing by zero is nasty ... 1 FP is infinitely larger than 0 FP.
Another 'house rule' is the way we do it, and Jervis gave his blessing on
this, as well ... if you have 1 to 0 FP then you get +1, but must have at
least 4 FP to 0 to get +4 ... effectivelyu this says ... treat a total of
0 FP as 1 FP ... not 1 FP per unit, just 1 FP for the total detachment to
avoid the dividing by zero problem. It works, makes sense (like snap
fire), and meets a reasonability test, as well.

Greg

Needle wrote:

> Hi all !
>
> Here is a simple question :
> Currently , when calculating a unit's firepower in a firefight , I use
> to ignore units that have a firepower value of 0 , even if these are
> within 15 cm from enemies .
> So units like demons , genestealers , etc are useless in firefights .
> I think it's fair , especially because in a firefight the loser takes
> only one casualty and one blast marker .
> A friend of mine yesterday told me about an "errata" that says that now
> even those units having 0 firepower , now give 1 point in firefights .
>
> Personally I think it's nonsense ;

You are right ... IMO

> I'd like to know how you play , and if anyone of you uses this "errata"
>
> My opinion is that this "errata" makes imperial guard useless in
> firefights against bugs and demons and should then be ignored .
> Any comment ?

Agreed, use the method I described and you should all be happy ... even
the mathematicians!