Re: [Epic] Chaos Marine Air Defense & Artillery (E40K)

From: Alan E & Carmel J Brain <aebrain_at_...>
Date: Sun, 30 Aug 1998 15:10:16 +1000

Don Perrin wrote:

> I'm thinking of putting together a Chaos Marine only army. My fear is that
> it has a hopeless flaw in having no flak or fighters or artillery. I do
> notice that Chaos Marine detachments can have Chaos Artillery. Does this
> make the detachment, and hence the army, non-Marine?

My own reading of the situation is that any Chaos Detachment that can
contain Chaos Marines is, ipso facto, a Chaos Marine Detachment, and
anything within one is a Chaos Marine unit. This is the same logic that
allows Vindicators etc to be classified as Space Marines.

So: Chaos Marine Detachments are
Chaos Infantry
 Chaos Space Marine Detachment (Obviously)

Chaos Armour
  Chaos Engine Detachment
  Chaos Space Marine Armoured Detachment

Supreme Commander

> Any thoughts on how to get around this? Looks like fielding a Chaos Marine
> only army is rather suicidal.

If you're choosing it for Power rather than Fluff Factor, then go for
detachments of mainly Land Raiders. This will more than compensate for
lack of fliers! If for fluff, then perhaps you should use the Imperial
Army lists, substituting the appropriate figures, and possibly using the
Chaos Cards rather than the Imperial Tarot. But even that is iffy: SM1
specifically mentions that the Traitor Legions used the Imperial Tarot
during the Horus Heresy.

--
 abrain_at_...  o OO*O^^^^O*OO o oo     oo oo     oo